When Fort Cottonwood was renamed Fort McPherson in 1866, its soldiers were already accustomed to fetching cold, great-tasting water from the well of John “Mac” McCullough. Soon, other travelers heard about the well and would stop. As a community formed, it was decided to name it
West Nebraska's Only National Cemetery
Fort McPherson National Cemetery glows with peace south of Maxwell and the Platte River. Soldiers from conflicts dating back to the Indian Wars have been laid to rest here with honor. Four Medal of Honor recipients are interred here. Fort McPherson N
Special events throughout the year create unforgettable family memories at Western Nebraska’s only zoo. Birthday parties, live music concerts, after hours events and holiday celebrations have visitors, and the zoo’s big cats, roaring loudly with approval. (308) 630-6236.
Late December through the first weekend of March. Water discharged from the Kingsley Hydroplant creates open water on Lake Ogallala, attracting bald eagles. View from the heated facility below the dam. (800) 658-4390.