Protecting the Railroad in Sidney from Attack!
Sidney Barracks was established in 1867 to protect Union Pacific Railroad track layers from attack. In 1869, the post was relocated to the present site at Sidney. The following year it was renamed Fort Sidney and was active through the Indian wars. At its height, the fort had 40 buildings. It closed in 1894. Three buildings remain in what is now a residential neighborhood on Sidney’s east side.
For more information about Sidney, contact the Cheyenne County Visitors Committee at (866) 545-4030 or visit www.sidneycheyennecountytourism.com.